How Do The Shure SE215 earphones Perform as Workout Headphones?
I know that these are not advertised as ‘sports’ or ‘fitness’ earphones, so I do not expect them to have the same functions as a pair that is.
Some people may not want to spend a lot of money on earphones that are only designed for working out, they may want a high performing pair of headphones that can still do well in the fitness/working out environment.
*Now two things I have to note before I start is that these SE215s are not sweatproof/waterproof in any way on the packaging and secondly, I bought these with my own money, Shure did not send me these in a return for a positive review.
So with that out of the way, let’s begin…
- They come with a carry case. My opinion is this, any headphones that cost more than 50 dollars, should come with a carry case. These do, they also have a neat little belt clip too, so you can hook it to your gym bag or whatever.
- You switch them on, and a voice tells you how much battery time you actually have left, I currently have more than 6 hours battery to go which is awesome. Other earphones such as the Powerbeats only give you a little sound to know they are connected and nothing to tell you how much battery is left until they are actually nearly empty. Having a voice tell you, is a very nice feature and saves you having to look for the little light to tell you if they’re on or not.
- The sound quality is really good, as you’d expect from a high-performance pair like these, I actually think I have been spoilt a bit by my current headphones (Powerbeats) I say that because they have clear sound but really emphasize the bass without distortion and the extra levels of bass is something I personally love with my workout music. The abundance of bass makes your music sound more dramatic than it actually is, and submerges you into your own little musical world. I was still able to feel submerged in my workout and forget all of the noises around me which is great.
- The cable is just too long, in order to wear these comfortably while working out, you really need to do something about the length of this cable. I know that these aren’t advertised as sports headphones so I don’t think Shure deserve a hard time for this. The wire-tidy is not effective, using this to shorten the cable just made the weight of each side a bit uneven so the earpiece on the left side kept slipping and felt like it would fall out during cardio. I tried tucking the excess cable into the back of my t-shirt but it just made the earphones dislodge from my ears especially when it came to doing squats with the barbell across my back. Not the worst thing, but well worth mentioning.
Summing things up
The Shure SE215s are a top quality pair of Bluetooth headphones, without a doubt. In terms of their design they’re more suited for day to day commuting and generally listening to music in a situation that doesn’t involve much movement of the body, but do they hold up quite well as a pair to workout with? The bad points I found won’t really be deal breakers for everybody but they’re worth taking into consideration, the bass levels are a subjective thing and the cable length may not trouble you. They are definitely not completely useless in the gym environment, the sound quality was very good, crisp and clear, the volume levels felt stronger than my beloved Powerbeats so they did do a great job of drowning out other sounds as I worked out while keeping my music sounding clean and crisp, which at the end of the day is what I want when I’m working out.
Do you own a pair of Shure Se215 headphones? Let me know in the comments below your take on these.
Shure SE215-CL-BT1 Wireless Sound Isolating Earphones
2 used from $ 84.69
- Detailed, lifelike sound with enhanced bass elevates audio performance in a convenient and portable mobile package.
- Sound Isolating design featuring comfortable sound isolating sleeves blocks up to 37 dB of ambient noise for extended listening, without distractions.
- Bluetooth 4 pairs with most phones, laptops and tablets, with up to 8 hours of battery life and 30 feet (10 meters) of range.
- Multi-point pairing enables pairing of up to two devices transitions from the office to on the-go between multiple sources and media.
- Control your world at your fingertips three-button remote and mic offers audio for phone calls, voice commands and other Voice-activated device features. NOTE: Refer the User Guide before use.