ListedFit is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small commission.
As a yoga beginner, I was curious about what equipment I needed to start my journey. It turns out that you don’t need much to begin with; just a few essentials can help make your experience more comfortable and enjoyable.
The first thing I needed to get was a yoga mat. I found that a high-quality mat helps provide better traction and cushioning during my practice. I also discovered that having a yoga mat bag can be handy for carrying my mat around without it losing shape. Additionally, yoga blocks are highly recommended, especially for beginners, as they provide support and stability while learning new poses.
I quickly realised that yoga doesn’t require much in terms of equipment – just a few key items. By having these essentials, I could focus on my practice and enjoy my time on the mat, while feeling comfortable and supported.
Top 5 Equipment Needed to Start Yoga
So, I’ve decided to start yoga, and naturally, I want to gather the essential gear to get started on the right foot.
After doing some research, I’ve compiled a list of the top 5 equipment needed for yoga beginners like me:
1. Yoga Mat: The first and most important item on my list is a good quality yoga mat. A comfortable mat provides traction and a cushioned surface to practice various poses without slipping or causing discomfort. There are different types of yoga mats available, such as those made of foam, cork, or eco-friendly materials. It’s crucial to pick one that suits my needs and preferences.
2. Yoga Blocks: Often underestimated, I found that a good yoga block can be very helpful for beginners like me, who might need some extra support while working on balance and alignment in particular poses. These blocks are usually made of foam, cork, or wood and come in different sizes and shapes, providing stability and assistance in deep stretches.
3. Yoga Strap: Another useful prop I discovered, a yoga strap can assist me in achieving better flexibility and alignment in my practice. They’re especially helpful for restorative yoga poses and for easing into challenging positions that require more reach. Yoga straps are typically made of durable cotton or nylon and come with adjustable buckles to customise the length.
4. Yoga Bolster: Bolsters are designed to offer comfort, support and softness in various yoga poses. They reminded me of a firm cushion and, when placed under the back, hips, or legs, they helped alleviate pressure and tension during restorative and relaxation postures. Yoga bolsters are available in different sizes, shapes and, like many of the other props, can be made from eco-friendly materials as well.
5. Yoga Towels and Blankets: Finally, I realised the importance of having a set of soft towels or blankets for my yoga practice. They can serve multiple purposes, such as providing extra cushioning between me and the mat or supporting my body in specific poses. Furthermore, yoga towels can be handy for absorbing sweat during a more vigorous practice session.
Appropriate Clothing for Yoga
Choosing the Right Yoga Clothes
When I first started yoga, I quickly realised that choosing the right clothes played an essential role in my practice. Comfortable and flexible clothing is crucial to help me move through the various poses. I’ve found that yoga leggings or pants are the most common choice for bottoms. These come in various fits and lengths to suit individual preferences.
For tops, I opt for a comfortable, form-fitting shirt that doesn’t restrict movement. Breathable and moisture-wicking fabric is my go-to choice because it helps keep me cool and dry during my practice. When it gets cold, I like to have a lightweight layer, like a long-sleeve top, that I can put on to keep warm.
As for my feet, I usually prefer practising yoga barefoot, as it offers better grip and connection with the ground. However, some people might prefer wearing yoga socks, featuring non-slip soles for additional grip on the mat.
Importance of a Suitable Sports Bra
One essential piece of yoga clothing that I cannot emphasise enough for women is a suitable sports bra. A good sports bra provides the necessary support, preventing any discomfort or pain during practice. There are various types of sports bras available, and it’s essential to select one that is both comfortable and suitable for the intensity of the yoga practice.
In my experience, these are the best types of sports bras for yoga:
- Compression sports bras: These bras restrict motion by compressing the breasts against the chest. They provide adequate support for low to medium impact activities like yoga.
- Encapsulation sports bras: These bras have individual cups for each breast, offering a natural shape while providing ample support. They’re a great choice for yoga practice, especially for those with larger breasts.
Remember, the right yoga clothes can help you feel more comfortable and confident during your practice. Take some time to explore options and find the best clothing for your yoga journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which basic items are essential for a yoga beginner?
As a yoga beginner, all you really need is a yoga mat. It’s important to have your own mat for hygienic purposes and to have a comfortable surface to practice on.
You don’t need any fancy clothing, just something comfortable and stretchy that allows you to move freely.
What should I take to my first yoga class?
When going to your first yoga class, bring your yoga mat, a water bottle and a small hand towel. I’d also recommend wearing comfortable clothing that allows for easy movement.
You might want to secure your hair with a hair tie or headband if it’s long. It’s a good idea to arrive a bit early so that you can find a suitable spot and introduce yourself to the instructor.
Do I need any special props for my yoga practice?
As a beginner, you typically don’t need any special yoga props. However, if you find certain poses difficult, a yoga block can be helpful for providing extra support.
A yoga strap can also be useful for deepening some stretches. Ultimately, the decision to use props depends on your personal preferences and needs.
What are some affordable yoga accessories?
There are various affordable yoga accessories available for those on a budget. Some examples include foam yoga blocks, basic yoga straps and non-slip towels for your mat.
You don’t need to invest in expensive items to enjoy your yoga practice—focus on finding functional and comfortable accessories that meet your needs.
What types of yoga mats are best for newbies?
As a newbie, it’s best to choose a yoga mat that provides a good grip during your practice. You can select from various materials, like PVC, TPE and natural rubber.
Keep in mind that the thickness of the mat plays a role in comfort—a thicker mat offers more cushioning, while a thinner one allows for greater connection to the ground.
How can I select an appropriate yoga block?
When selecting a yoga block, consider the material and size. Foam blocks are lightweight and affordable, while cork and wooden ones provide more stability and durability.
The size of the block depends on your needs in terms of support and comfort. I’d suggest trying out a few options at a local yoga studio or shop to see what works best for you.