ListedFit is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small commission.
When it comes to working out, the majority of fitness enthusiasts prefer a comfortable and secure pair of wireless earbuds to accompany them during their exercise sessions.
With the ever-growing market for true wireless earbuds, finding a suitable pair that is sweat-resistant and fits your ears snugly has become an essential requirement for most users.
Nowadays, you have several options to choose from, such as the Apple AirPods Pro 2 for an enhanced noise-cancelling experience, or the Shokz OpenFit for those who prefer ear hooks.
Additionally, newer more affordable options like Soundcore by Anker Sport X10 are making a lot of people rethink some of the more expensive options and are considered an excellent choice for those on a budget.
The key is to select a pair that caters to your individual preferences and workout requirements, ensuring that your exercise routine is not only productive but enjoyable as well.
In This Article…
What are the Best Earbuds and Headphones for Exercising Right Now? – My Top 3
Considering factors like sound quality, durability, and design, several wireless earbuds and headphones excel during workouts. Here are some top choices:
When choosing noise-cancelling headphones, look for transparency or awareness modes to hear your surroundings during exercise. Most recent models feature this option.
Some other workout-friendly options include sports earbuds with noise-isolating and open designs, as well as bone-conduction headphones that leave your ears uncovered. Keep an eye out for updates as new models are released and remember these key factors:
- Battery life: Prolonged workouts demand longer battery life.
- Charging case: Portable charging cases for earbuds ensure they’re ready for every workout.
- Fast charging: Quickly recharging your headphones is important for maintaining your exercise routine.
- Audio quality: No compromise on sound quality should be made during workouts.
- Wireless and Bluetooth: Look for options without the hassle of cables, especially during exercise.
- Sports earbuds and over-ear noise cancelling: Choose between in-ear sports earbuds or over-ear noise-cancelling headphones based on your preference and workout intensity.
Full List – Best Earbuds and Headphones for Working Out
When searching for the perfect earbuds and headphones for your workouts, consider the following key factors: comfort, transparency mode, secure fit, durability, active noise cancellation, lightweight design and stability.
The following models have been praised for their performance in the context of fitness activities:
Ideal for iPhone users, these earbuds boast a lightweight design and enhanced noise cancellation. They provide six hours of battery life with noise cancelling enabled.
These earbuds come with Apple’s H1 chip, active noise cancelling, spatial audio, and Adaptive EQ. They offer a comfortable, secure fit while working out.
The upgraded version of the original Beats Studio Buds offers improved sound quality, noise cancellation, and battery life.
A budget-friendly noise-cancelling headphone option, the CH-720Ns deliver surprisingly premium sound and performance for their price point.
Instead of bone-conduction technology, Shokz’s OpenFit earbuds use “air conduction” technology with custom speaker drivers to deliver sound.
These options cater to a variety of preferences in terms of budget, design, and performance. Ensure to choose the option best suited to your needs, based on the factors and features mentioned above. By investing in suitable earbuds and headphones for your workouts, you can elevate your exercise experience and enjoy optimal sound quality.
How I Test Workout Earbuds and Headphones
In order to determine the best workout earbuds and headphones, I assess them based on six key factors.
This testing process takes place in both gym environments and outdoor workouts, which include a three-mile run. Below is a summary of the various aspects I consider during my evaluation:
- Design: I pay close attention to the comfort, build quality, and ease of use of the controls. Water and dust resistance ratings are also taken into account for earbuds.
- Sound Quality: A specific playlist of music tracks is utilised to compare sound quality with other top products in the price range. Factors such as bass definition, clarity, dynamic range, and natural sound play a vital role in my assessment.
- Noise-Cancelling Performance: The efficiency of noise-cancellation is tested both indoors near a noisy HVAC unit and outdoors in busy streets. I examine how well the headphones muffle lower frequencies, street noise, and people’s voices.
- Extra Features: While the sound quality is essential, I also consider any additional features provided, such as quick-access awareness, transparency modes, special sound modes, and ear-detection sensors. The user-friendliness of any companion app is assessed too.
- Voice-Calling: I make calls in noisy environments, such as busy streets, to evaluate how well the headphones or earbuds reduce background noise and the clarity of my voice for the recipient.
- Value: After evaluating each criterion, the overall value of the headphones and earbuds is determined by comparing them to other models in their price class.
More Earbud and Headphone Recommendations
For affordable true wireless options, some cheap earbuds offer quality sound. For a stylish experience, audio glasses and sunglasses are garnering attention in 2023. Open wireless earbuds, like Aftershokz Aeropex, can be alternatives to AirPods. Powerbeats Pro and Apple AirPods Pro are great when working at home or heading back to school. Noise-cancelling headphones under £100 provide immersive audio for those on a budget. Finally, check out useful AirPods accessories to enhance your experience.
Workout Earbuds and Headphones: Frequently Asked Questions
Which earbuds excel in gym workouts?
For gym enthusiasts, the following earbuds have proven to be reliable and perform well during workouts:
Beats Fit Pro
Apple Airpod Pro 2
Are there any gym headphone suggestions popular among Reddit users?
Does Sweat Resistance Matter?
Yes, sweat resistance is essential for workout earbuds and headphones.
Most over-ear headphones may survive light sweating, but for heavy sweating, it’s recommended to get earbuds with a higher IP water-resistance rating.
IPX4 is a common rating, but some sports buds even come with an IP68 rating for added protection.
In-Ear or Over-Ear: Which Is Better for Working Out?
In-ear true-wireless headphones have become popular for workouts due to their lightweight and unobtrusive design.
Over-ear headphones offer better battery life, but they can cause your ears to heat up in warmer environments.
They are recommended for colder environments as they can keep your ears warm.
Can Sweat Damage Your Headphones?
Sweat can degrade headphones over time, so it’s crucial to wipe them down after use. Fully waterproof earbuds can be washed off, providing extra protection against sweaty workouts.
How to Keep Earbuds Secure When Exercising?
For a secure fit, look for earbuds with ear hooks or wing tips. Alternatively, you can purchase third-party foam ear tips with better grip than the standard silicone ear tips.
These provide additional support for keeping the earbuds securely in place during workouts.
Stuart Patrick is a health and fitness lifestyle journalist who writes for ListedFit.com.
“I've spent a lot of time trying to get in shape and change my body and I realised there are so many untruths in the health and fitness industry that can slow down or stop your progress, so I share my knowledge and experience to help others to cut through the BS.”
- FitnessFebruary 18, 2024Join the Discount Club Today!
- KitchenFebruary 5, 2024Best Almond Milk-Making Machines 🥛 Cheap vs Expensive?
- Barefoot ShoesDecember 18, 2023Can Barefoot Shoes Be Bad for You? Exploring the Potential Downsides
- FootwearNovember 20, 2023Should Weightlifting Shoes Be Tight? Read BEFORE You Buy a Pair
This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, the site may earn a small commission. We only recommend products we would use ourselves and all opinions expressed on this site are our own.
The information provided in this article is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for professional advice. Always consult with a qualified healthcare professional before starting any new diet, exercise program, or making changes to your health routine.
While we strive to provide up-to-date and accurate information, the content in this article may not reflect the most current research or medical guidelines. We encourage readers to do further research and consult with professionals for more personalized advice.
The products and services mentioned in any of our articles are recommended based on our independent research and personal experience. We are not sponsored by any company. We aim to suggest products and services we believe are of high quality and could be beneficial to our readers.